Child labor has been an international concern because it damages, spoils and destroys the future of children. The problem of child labor is a serious matter not only in India but also in other developing countries. It is great social problem. Children are the hope and future of a nation. Yet, there are millions deprived children in our country who have never known a normal, carefree childhood.
The law in Indian soil says that any child below age of 14 cannot be employed either in a factory or office or restaurant. In fact, India’s international business has been severely affected in many cases because child labors, violating human rights, have been used in some stage or the other in manufacturing, packaging a transport of those items. And, in a large number of cases of export of ready-made garments, prawn and several other items from India has been rejected on grounds of child labor being used.
Truly speaking child labor is frequently utilized in India in various places of production and service e.g., small scale industry, restaurant service, domestic aid, shopkeeper’s assistant, stone breaking, book binding, in fact in every house-hold industry.
Causes of Child Labor
Now what is the background of engaging child labor,
- To have or increase the income of a poor family
- To reduce the labor cost in a production organization
- Misc. reasons for engaging as domestic aid as the children are less doubtful about dishonesty or less liable to misbehave or be violent.
In a developed society where every citizen counts and all citizens have to have proper education, health care supports, games and entertainment and complete his education so that when he is a fully grown adult he can get a full employment with standard salary.
Solutions to Child Labor
The solution to the problem of Child Labor are:
- The Child labor laws need to be strictly enforced by the Government.
- The general public need to be made aware of the severe consequences of Child labor.
- An increase in employment opportunity for adults would help in overcoming the problem of poverty and child labor.
- Government should ensure that every child gets the opportunity to go to school.
- The owners of factories and mines should take the pledge of not engaging child in their place of business.
If the boy or girl takes up a small job as a domestic help or restaurant boy against a nominal salary of Rs. 750-1800 per month, he does not get enough time time for primary and secondary education and is most likely to remain completely illiterate, unskilled, perhaps with a weak health and will have to remain unemployed or be engaged as an unskilled labor when he is grown up. Hence in his own benefit and interest no child should be engaged as labor both from legal point of view as well as the child’s future interest.
Also read:Social Issues in India (causes, effects and solutions)
Category: National Issues of India
На самом деле в ней использовался уран, как и в ее сестрице, сброшенной на Хиросиму. - Но… - Сьюзан еле обрела дар речи. - Если оба элемента - уран, то как мы найдем различие между. - А вдруг Танкадо ошибся? - вмешался Фонтейн.