Are you one of them who think that a cover letter is just a summary of your resume, then you definitely need to change the way you think. And, you need to change your cover letter or probably draft a new one. A cover letter most of the times leaves a first impression of the job seeker on the employer. There are many things that can go wrong with your cover letter if you do not give it importance. A missing cover letter can be one of the reasons you are not hearing from the employers. And other major reason is that your cover letter is missing the some important elements. The article talks about the importance of cover and how can it help you get a job interview.
A job seeker once wandered if a cover letter was even important? “I mean I am giving all they need in my resume, then what will a cover letter do?” is the exact thing a job seeker asked when asked to apply with a cover letter. Today a scan through the resume or looking up a candidate online can help the employer with the basic details such as education, work experience and awards and rewards. But what the resume misses is your work ethic and attention to detail. A well written cover letter gives the employer a glimpse of your personality that a listed view of achievements cannot.
For a first time job seeker, a cover letter is very important with every job application. Do not use a cover letter that is generalized and has no keywords relevant to the job.
Writing a killer cover letter is not an easy task to do. You need to search and research, read the job description and then finally go through cover letter samples so that you can write your cover letter just perfectly.
What an Ideal Cover Letter Should Look Like?
Resume is an important part of a job search programme but a cover letter can act as the most important document as at times a cover letter acts as the first glimpse of what you are to the employer. A strategically designed cover letter should:
- Be able to target the job and the employer specifically and lets the resume market your skills and competencies
- Not be a repetition of your resume in a sentenced form. It should contain your uniqueness and efficiency that attracts the employer.
Ideally your cover letter should explain things that your resume can’t. You can use a cover letter to positively put your reasons about a gap in job, a career switch or any other such thing.
Some Things to Remember When Writing a Cover Letter When writing a cover letter:
- Try addressing someone specifically instead of a general salutation
- Write an attention seeking introduction so that the employer is interested in you from the first line
- Try and relate yourself with the company and mention phrases like “understanding your business and requirements” and “how can I benefit the company”
- Include your current accomplishments
- Make it specific for a job search; include keywords that makes it ATS (Automated Tracking System) friendly and at the same time industry specific
- Never include a negative information
- End your cover letter by requesting to schedule a personal interview
- Keep it free from all the errors and typos
Cover Letter Sample:
Here is a cover letter designed for someone looking a job in finance:
NISAR C. KHAN
Contact: 0966 5413xxxx –
Company Name & Address:
Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. (Last Name)
It is with great interest that I am applying for the position of XXXXX in your organization, as advertised in Newspaper XXXX dated on xx/xx/xx. I possess over 7 years of experience in the Construction & Contracting Domain. I believe am a suitable candidate who can work efficiently in your organization.
Working with Sterling & Wilson Middle East Electro Mechanical L.L.C, Dubai, U.A.E as Sr. Accountant, I have consistently produced strong results with high degree of integrity, dedication and organization communication skills. My track record speaks for itself along with my broad range of skills in handling all aspects of accounting and financial management.
With excellent/good knowledge of the financial services industry; I am currently pursuing ACCA which have helped keep myself updated with the latest financial trends.
- My notable accomplishments include the following:
- Efficiently handled nearly SOO million AED for the three projects namely King Abdullah Financial District, Riyadh, KSA, Barwa Commercial Avenue, Doha, Qatar – SWME Doha Operations and Hilton Marina Hotel, Doha, Qatar – SWME Doha Operations
- Ensured sufficient amount of cash flow through proper management of capital funds, trade payables & receivables Maintenance of monthly financial statements such as Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss Accounts for future reference for higher management
Regular interaction with banks and other financial institutions for payments, receipts, etc.
As added demonstration of my seriousness and commitment to the job quest, I have been pre-screened by an online background verification service with the report available for review. My past employers can attest my abilities to use my financial and accounting expertise to take on a management and leadership role in the business.
I have attached my resume, which highlights my experiences and accomplishments in more detail for your review. I would love the opportunity to speak with you regarding the potential employment opportunity within your firm. Please feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
NISAR C. THALIYIL
A cover letter needs as much attention as your resume for a successful job search process. Keeping it professional like any other document that you need for the job search. It should display your enthusiasm and your efforts that you have put in for this application. You can draft a cover letter but remember to modify it according to each job that you apply.
All the best for your job search!
Akansha Arora is a professional writer and blogger who loves to pen down her views on a number of topics that interest a reader. She writes keeping in mind the current scenarios and wishes to keep her readers well informed. You can follow her on google.com/+AkanshaArora2112
About the Author
COVER LETTER FORMAT
The cover letter is the document that accompanies your resume during the job application. It is a brief summary of your professional life and career. It is mostly required in every job application, whether in print or digitally. The cover letter is often THE job application in itself. And the cover letter format is the tool to communicate the right information the right way and create a good impression.
A Cover letter allows you to target the job and the employer in a very specific way. Resume can be detailed but the cover letter is crisp and to the point, only hinting at the value you can bring to the table if hired.
IMPORTANCE OF COVER LETTER
The cover letter is an introductory note and conveys the objective of writing along with a few specific career highlights. The style of communication in the cover letter plays a vital role during the screening process. An impressive note pushes the reader to read more in your resume. Ensuring appropriate format for your cover letter is the first step to a successful application.
HOW TO WRITE A COVER LETTER?
The objective should be very clear in the cover letter. A professionally sound cover letter has the following features:
- Be very concise; put only relevant information. A single page cover letter is recommended.
- Customize it as per the requirement of the employer and the job profile. A cover letter format is generally divided into three parts: Salutation and opening, introduction and brief, conclusion and closing.
- Salutation and opening address the person and the purpose of communication, being ‘job application’ here.
- Introduction and brief is a short summary that brings forward relevant information regarding professional life. It explains your eligibility and competence towards the job prospect.
- Conclusion and closing is the final note that projects the resolve and courtesy and provides contact information for further communication.
- Make sure you do not repeat content from your resume. Put forward unique points with references to content from the resume.
- Conclude with an optimistic outlook.
- Give a call to action by clearly providing your email address and contact information with a positive closing note.
A well-formatted cover letter with sensible content projects a lot of positive vibes towards the job application. Choosing the right cover letter format saves a lot of time and effort and also lays a basic guideline to customize your job application to its specific needs. Creating a good impression in the first contact makes the further steps easier. So give your cover letter a little time and effort and start preparing for that interview!